top of page
  • DTP Success Team

How Can I Request my Military Transcripts and Have Them Evaluated by my Institution?

Updated: Feb 16

How can I request my military transcripts and have them evaluated by my institution?

Transcript Evaluation

Requesting and evaluating military transcripts can be a challenging task for your institution.

However, with the correct information, it can be a smooth process.

This article will provide the resources to have your military transcripts evaluated for credit at your college or university.


Military Tips

Military group walking together.

American Council on Education

Transcripts are a record of your academic achievements and can be essential in determining whether or not you are admitted to a school.

The American Council on Education (ACE) is a nonprofit organization that evaluates educational experiences for college credit recommendations.

The ACE transcript shows how many credits the organization recommends for each experience, including military training, courses, and jobs.

Transcripts may also list courses or jobs that ACE still needs to evaluate.

Military transcripts may show credit recommendations for military occupational specialty (MOS) training, Army Advanced Individual Training (AIT), completed courses, and other military jobs.

The number of credits ACE recommends can help determine how your military experience may transfer to civilian colleges and universities.

When you're ready to begin the college application process, there are a few things you'll need to do to ensure that your military experience is considered.

Many colleges and universities accept credits for MOS training.

Your Transcripts will Provide a Detailed Record of the Military Training and Coursework You've Completed.

Most schools require official transcripts to be sent directly to their Registrar's Office.

Registrar's Office

Make sure you speak with your admissions counselor and confirm the institution you're interested in accepts military units.

Most colleges and universities will require you to submit your transcripts to their Registrar's Office as part of the admissions process.

You might have a copy of your transcripts; however, most of the time, that's not sufficient.

If you open or unseal your transcripts, they are typically labeled "unofficial."

Typically, unofficial transcripts will be rejected.

Most institutions require "official" transcripts to be sent to their Registrar's Office.

Request your Transcript from your Branch of Service

Military soilder sitting on doorstep.

Military Transcripts

For students who have served in the Army, Navy, Marines, or Coast Guard, you can go to the Joint Services Transcript (JST) website and fill out an Official Transcript Request.

If you have served in the Air Force, you can go to the Community College of the Air Force website and submit a request to have your transcript mailed to schools.

You can also pay for fast delivery if you need your transcript quickly for deadlines.

In addition to being a valuable tool for transferring credit, the transcript can also help employers and others understand the academic equivalency of military experience.

The military provides a wealth of experience that can be helpful when transitioning into the civilian world.

The American Council on Education (ACE) is a nonprofit organization that evaluates educational experiences for college credit recommendations.

Their transcript can be a helpful tool for understanding how your military experience may transfer to civilian life.

With some planning, you can ensure your military experience is correctly reflected on your college application.

Each school has policies regarding how many credits they'll accept from military students, so it's essential to check with each school to see their requirements.

For more information regarding ACE and DSST exams, be sure to view our blog:

If you have any questions or need additional assistance, please get in touch with us.

We'll be more than happy to assist you.

bottom of page